[mythtv-users] installing mythfrontend apk on Shield TV

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 15:33:43 UTC 2019

On 2/5/19 9:49 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
> What is the proper way of installing the mythfrontend APK on a Shield TV?
>
> I've done it with the version pointed to by the Android Mythtv wiki
> but I have not been able to upgrade it with install -r option. I have
> to uninstall it and then reinstall.
>
> Not sure if that is the same problem I'm encountering with a version
> of the APK I built from source.  That error is:
>
> adb install -r mythfrontend-20190205-arm64-v30.0-13-g1c2068c62b.apk
> Failed to install
> mythfrontend-20190205-arm64-v30.0-13-g1c2068c62b.apk: Failure
> [INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE: Package org.mythtv.mythfrontend
> signatures do not match the previously installed version; ignoring!]

Each android apk file is signed with somebody's private key. I have
created my own private key with which I sign all of the apks on
bintray.com.

When you build an apk, if you do not create a key, it is signed by a
development key that is created when you install the development kit. If
you try to install a new version of an apk that is signed with a
different signature the system will refuse to do it.

Note the development key is valid for one year. The permanent one like I
created is valid for 40 years.

So - long story short - you will have to uninstall and install again,
which will also lose your config.xml file. However if you have set up a
unique id in the config, you can use the same unique id again and your
settings from the database will still be found.

Peter