[mythtv-users] v30 unsmooth playback

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Mon Feb 4 20:33:53 UTC 2019

 ---- On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 19:54:55 +0000 John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > I don't know what capabilities your NUC has.  My SL7.6 +
 > elrepo-4.4-kernel box, running Master, is currently playing an HD DVB-T2
 > recording, getting it as a video from NAS.  Playback is mainly good but
 > jerky on panning.  Video is old intel without hardware acceleration,
 > Normal setting.  CPU is 2.8 GHz core2duo and display is VGA in a
 > 1024x576 window; 2 cores at 90% or above.
 >
 > If I want to watch output from this box at full resolution I use DLNA.
 >
 > Have you investigated the 'Advanced Playback Settings,' which were added
 > quite recently with the aim, IIRC, of getting smoother playback and
 > using VAAPI2?

 > Another thought:  I found out only a few weeks ago that the VDPAU
 > settings included "number of processors."   Perhaps for VAAPI too?

The nuc is a 2014 model; Intel HD graphics. tends to run about 35% on vaapi 1080p content.
Tried the vaapi2 option and it can't handle it. same 1080i recording runs fine with vaapi&manually set progressive scan, but doubles CPU time and just cant handle it smoothly.

Based off the quietness of this thread, sounds like its not a wide spread issue. wonder if somethings become broke with the many repo updates i needed. Unless we can find a solution before, i'm going to plan a reinstall at the weekend.