[mythtv-users] v30 unsmooth playback

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Sun Feb 3 16:35:38 UTC 2019

 ---- On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 04:39:29 +0000 Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote ----
 > On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 20:16:46 +0000, you wrote:
 >
 > > ---- On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 19:44:28 +0000 Jon Boehm <jon.s.boehm at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > > > I saw this with fixes/29 backend and pre-30 Nvidia Shield Android frontend.  Its annoying but has not happened so often to be a super large problem.  Like a couple of studded instance every few hrs.   If I understand correctly, it sounds like you are saying its fixed with new recordings after a full v30 upgrade.  That would be good news.
 > > > BTW, what is your recording source, HDHomeRun?
 > >
 > >Not on HDHomeRun, i'm using a TBS 6981 dual DVB-S2 card. FE is a 2820 celeron NUC.
 > >forgot to mention that the playback data doesnt show anything obvious. full buffer, good codec (h264 vaapi) and jitter seems normal
 >
 > For digital recordings, the card used does not matter, as the
 > recording process just copies to disk all the data streams that make
 > up the channel.  The data in those streams is not touched at all.  So
 > what matters is what the station is transmitting in those streams.

seems i've got 2 issues with mine. one is a video scan setting where it's extremely jerky and unwatchable, and the other is as per my first mail where it'd periodically drop a frame. Haven't found any consistency with it yet other than it only /seems/ to occur on some HD recordings.  SD recordings and videos are unaffected.
Found the first issues setting thats making it upset - video scan settings. Not sure what the default it, but forcing it to Progressive fixes things.
I'm not seen the frame dropping issue recently.

The Jerkiness issue seems to be a video scan issue as manually changing to Progressive or interlaced (reversed) setting is working on a recording from yesterday (so FE&BE on fixes/30) so definately not a pre-30 recording on a v30 FE. Using Detect or Interlaced (Normal) causes the jerkiness.
I assume its not isolated just to my environment any ideas what to try?

Annoyingly i did both Centos7 OS and Mythtv update at the same time; kernel, general packages (been many months since i last did an 'yum upgrade'), and compiled fixes/30 from git.