[mythtv-users] Corrupt recording using HDHR Quatro

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 13:01:49 UTC 2019

> The problem is not traffic between other devices on your network, it
> is traffic specifically being sent to the RPi4.  When the total
> traffic from other switch ports to the RPi4 switch port exceeds 1
> gigabit/s, at the RPi4 switch port there will be contention and packet
> drops as the RPi4 port can only send 1 gigabit/s.  When the RPi4's
> switch port receives more than 1 gigabit/s of traffic, the only thing
> it can do is drop some of that traffic.

I really appreciate you taking the time to discuss this. I've thought
about what other traffic could be happening besides the HDHR tuner data
of around 50Mbs. I can't come up with anything. The current RPi4 has
Raspbian buster and XFCE4.  Mythtv-backend is running as a service and
no other tasks of significance are running. No other computer is
connected to the RPi4 like a frontend.

When my little network loop also included the Shield TV then I also had
traffic from the Shield TV to the Internet but no where saturating the
ports.

With the separate loop of RPi4 and HDHR only, last night again, I
recorded all 4 network channels primetime programming. So 3 hours on 4
tuners.  I had no errors enough to make the listing of the recordings
"Yellow". I think today I'm going to repeat that but also add watching a
recording at the same time using a remote FE on another PC. If that
works I'll switch to watching a recording but use mythfrontend on the
RPi4 itself.  That would be the maximum stress level.

With that testing concluded successfully, I'm go back to my original
setup but replace the switch that the Shield TV and RPi4 were on with a
different switch to see if it could be a bad switch.

Jim A