[mythtv-users] Apple TV Plus

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 19:15:06 UTC 2019

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 1:03 PM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/19 1:21 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
>
> As much as I hate Apple for over-pricing their hardware and
> under-featuring their software, I do want to watch AppleTV+ for the content
> they have.
>
> I do not have a Firestick (the only android device they support), but can
> and have sideloaded the Amazon Appstore and ApleTV+ on my Shield.
>
> If I root the Shield and change build.prop, of course I can make the
> ApStore think it is a firestick and all will be right as rain, but then all
> future updates, etc will not function correctly.
>
> Has anyone with both devices loaded AppleTV+ on their firestick and then
> sideloaded the AmazonAppstore onto a Shield along with TV+ and got it to
> work?
>
> I am prepared to pay for a FireStick just to check it out, but figured I
> would save the cost just in case someone else has tried it..?
>
> YiA
>
> -Greg
>
> I don't know about the prices where you are but in the USA the FireTV
> stick 4K is $24.99 when specials are running, right now it $34.99. I caught
> it at $25. I already had the $15 ethernet adapter from an older Firetv
> stick.
>
> Jim A

Yep - I know it is cheap.  When you add the number of TVs that already have
Shields and the Harmony Setup required for them all, when I can do it all
from ADB on my laptop (hopefully) and no changes to any hardware, it is at
least worth investigating for me.

Someone else just reminded me I can use a browser in AndroidTV, but that
would require a mouse (or very patient users) to make it semi-easy.  I have
a 3x pairing ogitech mouse, so no issue for me, but the rest of the house :)

Anyway - I will be fiddling with it this weekend and find the easiest way.
I really like the Shields, so I will get it working there and assuming I
can do it without modifying build.prop, will definitely go that way.

Google should have made Android container compatible - at least that way, I
could run FireOS under Android (Ii know they are both android)...  :)

-Greg