[mythtv-users] HDHR prob with new wallwarts

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Dec 13 15:27:50 UTC 2019

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 09:51:00 -0500, you wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 6:14 AM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 16:31:02 -0500, you wrote:

>> getting

>> the

>> no_clear"
>> this

>> current.

>> were

>> > $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
>> ># interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
>> >auto lo
>> >iface lo inet loopback
>> >auto enp2s0
>> >iface enp2s0 inet static
>> >    address 192.168.0.210
>> >    netmask 255.255.255.0
>> >    gateway 192.168.0.1
>> >    broadcast 192.168.0.255
>> >    dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8   8.8.4.4
>> >My only question is, where did you get the dns-nameservers values from? Do
>> >I need to edit these?
>>
>> You would normally want to use the nameservers that your router should
>> be getting from your ISP.  Your router may be able to tell you what
>> they are.  Using Google's public nameservers as above should work for
>> most things, but there can be some subtle problems (and benefits). For
>> example, if your ISP runs local CDN servers (say Akamai servers), then
>> anything you would normally have got from the local CDN servers will
>> now be received from some global server somewhere much further away if
>> you use Google DNS.  And you may be unable to access ISP services that
>> are provided only to your ISP's customers from this PC.
>>
>> If you can find the correct ISP nameserver addresses from your router
>> of maybe from a web page on your ISP's help pages, or by calling their
>> helpdesk, then you can put them here.  ISP nameserver addresses
>> normally do not change, but it can happen if they have to reorganise
>> their IP addresses (especially if someone takes them over), and if
>> that happens, then the static IPs that you put here will need to be
>> changed also.  It is unlikely that your ISP will inform you if they
>> change the addresses, as your router will normally pick up the new
>> ones automatically.  If you use Google's nameservers, then those
>> addresses are extremely unlikely to change.  And if they ever do, it
>> will be big news on the Internet.  But you are giving Google
>> information about what DNS addresses you are using.
>>
>> I think it may be possible to do partial DHCP, where you use a static
>> IP address as above, but get things like the nameserver addresses
>> using DHCP.  I have never done that using the interfaces file, but it
>> is probably possible using some scripting.  Likely way beyond your
>> capabilities.
>>
>> Also, using /etc/network/interfaces on a system that is using
>> NetworkManager as yours is, there can be lots of complications.  I
>> found I had to disable NetworkManager to get some things to work, and
>> that may have included the "dns-nameservers" options.  It is a very
> [...]

OK, having set up those DNS settings for the VPN does change things.
You are already using non-ISP DNS servers, and what that fix does, in
a NetworkManager environment, likely overrides any "dns-nameservers"
lines in the interfaces file, if they were not already being ignored
by NetworkManager.  So there is no need to change anything from what
you have.  You might like to delete or comment out the
"dns-nameservers" line so that it does not fool you at some later date
into thinking that is the right place to change the nameserver
addresses.

Just be aware that if, at some later time, you want to use something
like an ISP provided multimedia service that is not available outside
the ISP network, it may not work on that PC with the non-ISP DNS
servers being used.