[mythtv-users] MythTV on Raspberry Pi 3B+?

Bob Long bob at oblong.com.au
Fri Dec 13 00:41:14 UTC 2019

Per Jessen wrote on 12/12/19 11:47 pm:
> [snip]
> I didn't think the Raspi4 had any hw video acceleration?  Looking at my
> current results on the Raspi3B+, that is a must (hopefully I'll get it
> to work).

Depends what you mean by "video acceleration".

According to the specs at
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/specifications/
the RPi4 definitely has hardware video decoding: "H.265 (4kp60 decode),
H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)"

>From the FAQ (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/faqs/#pi-video):

"On the Raspberry Pi 4, the extra hardware CODEC support for MPEG-2 and
VC-1 is not available: because the Raspberry Pi 4's processors are
powerful enough to decode these in software, no CODEC licence is
necessary. In addition, the Raspberry Pi 4 also has hardware support for
decoding H265/HEVC."

--

Bob Long