[mythtv-users] HDHR prob with new wallwarts

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Dec 8 04:17:02 UTC 2019

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 14:28:42 -0500, you wrote:

>It was insomnia testing 4am I started four recordings, then opened a
>browser on my FE/BE and immediately the recordings failed no other network
>traffic at all.

So that makes it unlikely that it was a traffic problem that caused
the bad recordings.

When you say "failed", what exactly happened?  Did the recordings just
stop, or did they complete but had lots of errors?

>My router allows 1 top priority service 2 second level priority and ten
>normal priority device staging. My wife's VoIP phone takes the top spot and
>the HDHRs occupy the next two spots. This change was made prior the the
>last test. The ethrenet switch is a "smart switch" maybe that is where I'm
>getting into trouble?

I am presuming that you have your MythTV box and HDHRs all connected
to the same "smart switch" and on the same subnet.  If so, then the
packets between the HDHRs and the MythTV box will never be going to
the router, and will not be affected by its QoS operations.  The
packets will be switched by the Ethernet switch between its ports
without ever getting to the router.

Ideally, you would want your switch to do DSCP QoS, but it is unlikely
it is capable of that.  QoS in switches is usually only found in
enterprise grade switches or top end consumer ones.  But you certainly
should look up your switch to see if it is capable of doing DSCP QoS.

I have an EdgeSwitch ES-24-LITE:

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgeswitch-lite/

which is an enterprise grade switch and has full QoS capabilities.
That is one of the features I bought it for.  I have it configured to
do DSCP priority on all ports, but I have never actually tested to see
if it is working as I do not have any problems that would actually
need DSCP to be working.