[mythtv-users] HDHR prob with new wallwarts

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 19:27:07 UTC 2019

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 10:53 AM Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I really appreciate all the replies and debate, but what I'd rather do,
> since I use one combined FE/BE with no other FE's is swap my HDHRs for a
> couple single tuner cards, preferably PCIe, I have two open slots, find
> them simpler to use, and they suit my use case well, I'm using a Hauppauge
> 1250 and a pair of Pinnacle PCTV 800i cards. Please contact off list if
> you're interested.
>
> On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 12:52 PM Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 9:29 AM Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Trying to decode this. I assume that the reason SD made this suggestion,
>>> and that you report it worked for you, is that the creation of an enp2s0
>>> entry in /etc/network/interfaces caused your backend's enp2s0 interface
>>> no longer to be managed by the scourge that is Network Manager (scourge
>>> on servers, not on clients).
>>>
>>> So that should be the advice given to others: create an appropriate
>>> entry for your backend's main ethernet interface in its
>>> /etc/network/interfaces file. The above is just an example of what such
>>> an entry might look like. Don't just copy it onto your backend and
>>> assume it will work as-is; you will need to adapt it to your network and
>>> interface name.
>>>
>>> (Also, I would steer clear of Google's DNS servers because I value my
>>> privacy, but that's just me).
>>>
>>> I honestly do not recall who gave me the suggestions but I think it was
>> on this group but it could have been through Googling or a mixture. You are
>> right that it needs to be customized. This is just what I did. It kept the
>> HDHR connected where previously Linux was disconnecting. The HDHRs were
>> working fine and I could view them from Windows when the Linux box and thus
>> Myth could not. What SD did was suggest I use Windows to see if the HDHRs
>> were still connected and working at a time when Linux could not see them.
>> It was a great troubleshooting technique as it isolated the problem to
>> Linux. Not Myth, not the HDHRs.
>>
>> My son works at Google and I trust them. Let me simplify the privacy
>> issues and what I understand Google does and does not do.
>> Google is in the business of selling ads and wants them to be relevant to
>> the viewer. There are three ways this can be done:
>> 1) By where you are. This is similar to a newspaper having different
>> editions for different geographies.
>> 2) By what you do. You visited Homedepot.com looked at lawn mowers so
>> here is a lawn mower ad.
>> 3) By who you are. You are Frank and you like sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll.
>>
>> Google does 1 and 2 but not 3. In California, starting next year, you can
>> opt out of #2. I have opted out of #2 on behalf of all my users on my
>> website for example so I don't need to ask everyone individually. Nice
>> feature. I think the EU is similar.
>>
>> It is my belief that Facebook uses #3 and I do not put Google and
> [...]
I went the other way. Took out my internal tuner cards and used the HDHR.
So long ago I can't remember all the reasons but I know internal heat in
the computer case was one. I liked it so much I bought a second one on
Craigslist, which is how I got the underrated wall wart that ended up
giving me problems. My tuner cards are a decade old so probably not worth
using but I can go look if you are interested.

Allen