[mythtv-users] Nvidia GFX cards moving forward

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 12:07:58 UTC 2019

I've been reading threads about upgrading and I seem to be in the dark
about a couple of things. My main desktop is an old Intel Core i7-2600K
which is more than enough for email, Facebook, and Googling stuff.  It's
even good enough for some Steam Games like Portal, etc.

I use it for a Mythtv Frontend as well when it's inconvenient to be
watching TV in the Den.

I'm running Ubuntu-Mate 18.04.3 and using a Nvidia GT 710 with whatever
driver was picked for me during installation of that card. It's currently
nvidia-driver-390, even though 430 and 435 are available.

To keep mythtv frontend working with my V30 backend, should I:
1.  Plan on staying with Ubuntu 18.04 forever?
2.  Replace the GT 710 GFX card?
3.  Move to the open source GFX driver for the GT710?

My V30 backend is also a Core i7 on Ubuntu Server 18.04 and headless. It
uses a Hauppauge WinTV Quad PCIe capture card that requires a special PPA.

I know I have a year or so before this becomes critical, but if hardware is
required I need to start looking for deals.

Jim A