[mythtv-users] FireTV 4K stick

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 14:44:54 UTC 2019

On 24/08/2019 16:34, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 8/24/19 3:26 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> I have tried to install Peter's new Android-studio based build in
>> Fedora 29 with KDE, but no luck so far.  The ikon displays but
>> attempts to activate just return almost immediately to the ikon.
>> That's after an adb install of the posted .apk.
>
> I just ran another test with a fire stick 4k, first I uninstalled MythTV
> leanback frontend and then installed the apk that I posted on
> bintray.com. Unfortunately it has the same icon as the normal
> mythfrontend, I will have to fix that. When highlighting it you can see
> the name displayed so that you know which is which.
>
> If I select the myth leanback frontend icon in the fire stick 4k for the
> first time, it opens immediately to its setup page where you have to
> supply the backend ip address.
>
> I don't know why this does not work for you. I suggest check in the
> installed applications that the correct one is installed.
>
> Perhaps you have a bad adb. The one that comes with android studio is
> incompatible with one that comes with ubuntu. If you have android
> studio, run adb from the installed Android/Sdk/platform-tools/adb. You
> need to specify the port by running
>
> adb connect [ip address of fire stick]:5555
>
> If you still cannot launch the leanback frontend, run adb log while
> trying to launch it and see if there is a relevant error message.
>
> Peter

Replying to an earlier post about the Myth Leanback Frontend.  It
sort-of works when it feels like it.

The original mythfrontend on the device, and its other apps, are TTBOMCK
unaffected.

Since I had installed Android-studio I tried, as Peter suggested, its
version of adb, which is different from that supplied by F29.  I ran it
from a konsole tab with
'PATH=/home/john/Android/Sdk/platform-tools:$PATH' and 'adb --help
worked' , but it seems unable to connect to the firestick, even after a
device restart.  I got

$ adb connect 192.168.1.66:5555
server version (40) doesn't match the client (41); killing...
*failed to connect
daemon started successfully
failed to connect to '192.168.1.66:5555'  : Connection refused

so I couldn't use that version to do a reinstall of Peter's build or get
a log from the old install.

studio version of adb is 1.0.41 version 29.0.2-5738569

and for /usr/bin/adb 1.0.40 version c7815d675

John P