[mythtv-users] FireTV 4K stick

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 15:20:38 UTC 2019

On 8/24/19 3:56 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> My earlier report wasn't quite accurate.  The Fedora adb successfully
> installed your .adk and I had been able to set the backend address and
> accept the options for Backend Ports and Frontend Host Name (Android),
> but then useful responses stopped.
>
> I reinstalled and did the same again, and 'More' gave a scrollable
> screen of recording thumbnails.

It is supposed to show a row for each title with episodes scrolling left
to right. Under "More" there is a grid option which I don't think is
very useful. Did you not see any rows above the "More" row?
> I selected a 1080i h264 25 fps with 6-channel AAC/LATM audio - and the
> playback-control screen appeared, but nothing more, and on quitting I
> got only the repeating ikon.  I tried 'Delete app data' and got back
> to the empty Settings screen.
>
> I have found it possible to play some of the recordings on this F29
> test box, but at present would not choose this way to do it: the
> format above doesn't play at all, and 'Standard Definition' mpeg2
> encoding plays in a series of spurts.  It seems happiest with the
> 544*576 h264 encoded format from eg the Smithsonian and PBS America
> channels,  but even there the aspect ratio is wrong - it's probably
> assuming square pixels.
>
> 'adb logcat' works, produces lots of output, and could probably be
> usefully filtered.  The main problem at present for me is the tendency
> to forget the backend connection settings whenever something goes
> wrong or the wrong button is pushed.  I'll keep trying it.
>
> So, I guess it's showing promise but isn't yet ready for a global
> rollout.  Many thanks for working on it, though :-)

Thanks  for testing this. Error handling needs to be added to the app. I
already noticed the aspect ratio problem so I will be looking into that.

Let me know what android device you are using and what version of mythtv
backend you have.

Peter