[mythtv-users] Experimental Android TV "leanback" MythTV frontend

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 15:45:36 UTC 2019

On 8/23/19 4:49 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
> I've been playing with the new leanfront app on my Shield TV on a
> 4K-60fps Samsung TV. I'm comparing the mythfrontend app to the new
> Leanfront mythtv app. If I watch a networked news broadcast which is
> 1080i OTA recorded from and antenna and a Hauppauge WinTV Quad PCIe
> tuner I see only a very slight difference.  The news broadcast has a
> text crawl along the bottom inserted by the local tv station with
> weather and traffic. Depending on the app you view this with, you can
> see small differences in the jitter of the news crawl. Normally with
> the TV showing the news straight from the antenna using it's internal
> tuner the crawl is perfect. With the Shield TV Kodi app, and
> Mythtv-leanback app the crawl is perfect just like the TV only
> viewing. The Shield TV Mythtv-frontend android app has just a very
> slight jitter in the crawl. You have to look hard to notice it.  Also
> testing with the Raspberry Pi 4 with mythtv combo Frontend and backend
> there is no jitter on the crawl.
>
> So now for a couple of questions on the Leanback app. Is there a way
> to delete a program from the list you don't want? How can you skip
> forward and backward easily. using the ">>" control seems to be very
> hard for me.

Thank you for testing it, this is good information.

The program list includes everything that is on the backend. I have not
yet implemented deletion of shows.

Currently for forward and back skip there are only the controls that
came with the demo application. I plan to add a better way of doing
skip, as well as many other features on the to-do list.

Peter