[mythtv-users] Experimental Android TV "leanback" MythTV frontend

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 15:14:34 UTC 2019

On 8/21/19 3:17 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I am developing a pure android application for Android TV devices
> called android-MythTV-Leanfront.
>
> It uses the android TV leanback user interface as used by other apps
> such as youtube, prime video, etc. to play MythTV recordings.
>
> It supports 4K resolution video at 50 fps and voice search, which are
> not working on mythfrontend for android. Also it supports surround sound.
>
> It does not yet support many of the important features of
> Mythfrontend, and some features it may never support.
>
> See https://github.com/bennettpeter/android-MythTV-Leanfront for more
> details
>
> Peter

To answer David's question on IRC - Some reasons for attempting this:

- I saw an opportunity to use the android exoplayer library and the
sample program to easily build a new frontend.

- Support Voice search, 4K playback, use only service api and avoid
version dependence.

- Avoid Existing android frontend problems - it is compiled with
IGNORE_SCHEMA_VER_MISMATCH, IGNORE_PROTO_VER_MISMATCH", it will not
support 4K or ipv6, we have to build with out of date ndk.

- frontend should not require a 4k device to play 1080 recordings.

Peter