[mythtv-users] My 15 year anniversary

glen glenb at glenb.us
Tue Aug 20 16:11:53 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-08-20 at 10:15 -0500, Tom Bishop wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019, 10:06 AM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 08:46:07AM -0400, Justin Alcorn wrote:
> >
> > > I'm getting very frustrated with my HDPVR and external cable box.
> >

> > > Would a  Ceton InfinTV 6ETH work with Spectrum Cable assuming I
> > rented a
> >
> > > cable card?
> >

> > It depends.  If your Spectrum is former Time Warner Cable, chances
> > are
> >
> > almost everything has enabled and won't work with MythTV.  If your
> >
> > Spectrum was previously Spectrum (aka Charter), the DRM mihgt be
> >
> > limited and would work with MythTV.  In short, you won't know until
> >
> > you try or find a HDHR Prime or Ceton user in your area to ask.
> >

> > David

fwiw, i have spectrum in los angeles, formerly t/w. i had virtually
everything other than locals with drm blocking.then i changed plan to
the one where you pick 10 stations only. they offered me giveaway on
premium channels, starz,hbo and showtime.for another 20.which i took.
so bill became 40 for tv. when they made that change, all of the
premium the drm wasremoved and i regularly record it via firewire. sd
prime or ceton would be the same. before i made the switchi had found
reference that under this then 'new' offering designed for streaming
but still allow legacy boxes theywere removing the drm. but on the
basic cable channels those remain blocked. at least the ones i chose.
for those i use hdmi encoder which replaced hdpvr and i use sd 4 tuner
quatro for the ota.