[mythtv-users] Guidance for phase 9

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 20:10:48 UTC 2019

On 8/18/19, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 1:33 PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/16/19, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > This may be a dumb question but why can't I edit the XMLTVID, Channum
>> > and
>> > Freqid in MythWeb under Channel Info and have that work? That is pretty
>> > much all the information needed.
>> >
>> > Allen
>> >

>> What needs to happen is a lot more complex than that, and my script
>> addresses all of it. But before I get into that, I'm unclear as to why
>> you'd be doing anything to the xmltvid in the first place. Assuming
>> that's currently correct for the channel, that has nothing to do with
>> any of this, as you're only trying the change the frequency of the
>> existing channel. That aside, here's what you're missing there:
>>
>> The freqid is the numeric channel number, and my script does in fact
>> change that based on the frequency. However I don't think that even
>> serves much purpose when it comes to tuning the channel. That depends
>> on two things:
>>
>> 1. The mplexid on the channel table, which must be assigned to the
>> mplexid of the appropriate transport in the dtv_mulitplex table for
>> the new frequency. Also note that you may not even have an entry in
>> that table for the required frequency and my script can create that as
>> needed.
>>
>> 2. The serviceid on the channel table needs to be set to the proper
>> PID (that PROGRAM number in the hdhomerun_config scan) to cause it to
>> use the correct program in the above transport. I don't think the
>> channel editor would let you change that either.
>>
>> In fact, what you're describing probably wouldn't affect the channel's
>> tuning behavior at all.
>>
>> So there's a lot involved there, but again, my script does make it pretty
>> easy.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> @Tom
>
> My question was a bit rhetorical. I was not so much saying what fields
> would need to be changed as saying why can't Myth stations/channels be
> edited by changing the relevant values in the interface that is already
> there. We know from comments that when there is a frequency repack that SD
> gets tons of questions from MythTV users. Other programs must handle a
> repack in a more straightforward way.
>
> That said, your script and the example you give in your email look like a
> great step forward in making this a painless process.  I look forward to
> trying it out when the time comes.
>
> As a final check, is there anything about what I am running that might give
> me trouble in using your script?  Best I can tell from the Ubuntu
> documentation the perl binding was part of that build. I am, however, not
> at all sure of that.
>
> Mythbuntu 14.04.1 LTS and MythTV fixes/0.28
>
> Allen

I see. Yea, it would be nice to be able to do that in the channel
editor, however it would need to do a good bit more than just editing
that table as I'd imagine it does now...for example allowing you to
select the correct frequency from the existing transports, or to
create a new one etc...basically what my script is doing. What would
probably solve all of this would be if the scan could have an option
(at least for ATSC) to always update existing channels based purely on
a match of ATSC major and minor numbers.

As for my script: The database updates that does deal with tables and
columns that haven't changed in about as long as I've been using
MythTV, so nothing about your setup should be an issue. I actually
just looked specifically at the schema updates between 0.28 and even
30.0 and nothing involved has changed for sure.

You can quickly find out if you have those bindings by just
downloading that script and trying it. You can give it execute
permissions with:

chmod a+x mythtv-us-atsc-add-channel

Then you can try this:

./mythtv-us-atsc-add-channel -h

If you get the help text you're fine...otherwise you'll get this:

Can't locate MythTV.pm in @INC (you may need to install the MythTV
module)...etc etc

If you don't have the bindings let me know...I've actually already
made a version without that that has the database, user, and password
directly in the script where you have to edit them in the script.

If anyone's interested, I've attached another utility that to add a
new ATSC channel that's worked well for me. Note that it can't add new
frequencies, however you can do that with my first script using the -c
option.

Tom