[mythtv-users] Guidance for phase 9

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 22:50:47 UTC 2019

On 8/16/19, Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would the channel update problem discussed here be solved if new
> channels found by a mythtv-setup channel scan have the xmltvid copied
> from an old channel, where the old channel is identified by the ATSC
> major/minor channel numbers found in the new channel?
>
> Klaas.

That would help in terms of retaining the xmltvid on any newly created
channels, which is a help.

For myself however, the issue is the very fact that a new channel
always gets created if the frequency changes (if I understand
correctly). In a best case, that is where the callsign of the new
channel doesn't change, and possibly the xmltvid gets retained as
you're suggesting, scheduling rules the guide data should be OK.
However the fact that a new channel gets created at all is massively
undesirable for me.

If the old channel id gets deleted, a lot of references no longer
work...that is anything that relies of chanid...for example the
channel information displayed for existing recordings. I can't recall
if there's an option to NOT delete the old obsolete channel, but would
seem to be a bigger mess to me.

For my purposes, the only thing that would work for me is if the
frequency information (mplexid, serviceid etc) gets changed on the
existing channel. That is for example, if the scan could do that
purely based on a match of major/minor ATSC pretty much ignoring all
other factors. I'd imagine there are reasons that this isn't what's
done, and probably reasons it would be an issue in some situations,
but that's the crux of why I've taken to my surgical frequency changes
on my existing channels. Doing that, I'd never know anything changed
at all.

Tom