[mythtv-users] Guidance for phase 9

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 16:55:53 UTC 2019

On 8/12/19, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> In planning for Phase 9 channel reassignments scheduled for next year I
> found this quote (paraphrase):
>
> "MythTV rescan is just too difficult so I did it manually and it only took
> 4 hours"
>
> Not what I wanted to find. Can someone point me to how this should be done.
> Specifically, I find four possibilities on how this might be done in two
> menus:
> In Connect Source to Inputs
> 1) Scan for Channels
> 2) Fetch channels from Listing Source
>
> In Channel Editor
> 1) Channel Scan
> 2) Edit Transports
>
> I have learned the hard way not to just experiment so I am asking for
> guidance.
>
> I have two HD Homerun dual tuners (first generation) so I have four capture
> cards listed and connected to a single Video Source called "Antenna North"
> which is linked to Schedules Direct. All the capture cards are apparently
> set up as MPEG2TS.
>
> My system is Mythbuntu 14.04.1 LTS and MythTV fixes/0.28
>
> Is there some documentation or can someone give me some specific guidance
> for doing the required rescan or other channel reassignment process.
>
> Allen

The utility I wrote for my own purposes essentially allows a frequency
change to the channel table for an existing specific channel...either
by assigning a different existing transport on the dtv_multiplex table
or by creating a new one if necessary, and will also adjust the freqid
and the serviceid (the program id in the transport) on the channel
table as needed as well. You can get the parameters it requires from
that hdhomerun_config output. It's basically a surgical one at a time
utility, but the changes go pretty fast using it. I don't see any good
way to do that via either the channel editor and/or the "Edit
Transports". I originally wrote it in PHP only because I code database
stuff in PHP every day.

Yesterday I actually finished a version of the same written in perl
that's adjusted to where it should be usable for others...though
obviously on a "use at your own risk", no guarantees basis. As luck
would have it, I hadn't yet turned my antenna to scan for the 8/1
changes to Philideiphia market and make those changes. So today I did
so and that allowed me to test that out, and it worked great for me.
In fact I was able to change frequencies with the backend running
testing them with LiveTV as I changed each.

I'll send another reply with that script attached (if the list allows
that), with some notes.

Tom