[mythtv-users] HDPVR problems - power supply again?

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 15:35:21 UTC 2019

On 8/14/19 6:36 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> So the real problem with using a PC power supply only comes
> if you connect the HDPVR to a standard power connector (ether Molex or
> SATA) and do not have any current limiting in the connection you use
> (such as a properly rated fuse or circuit breaker).  The PC power
> supply can then supply a great many amps into the HDPVR, and if the
> HDPVR has a fault that draws huge current, that can cause a fire.

Having powered my HD-PVR from one of my PSU's molex connectors for
years, I'm curious about this.

Given the over-current protection (OCP) features that my PSU itself
advertises, plus the fact that that system is on a properly limited (via
circuit breaker) circuit, I'm not terribly concerned about the HD-PVR
bursting into flames.

But let's say I had a cheap PSU on a circuit without a breaker.  Is
there any reason to fear the molex-connected HD-PVR any more than any of
the other PC components driven by that same PSU?

-WD