[mythtv-users] Guidance for phase 9

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 15:01:22 UTC 2019

On 8/12/19, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 1:26 PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/12/19, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > In planning for Phase 9 channel reassignments scheduled for next year I
>> > found this quote (paraphrase):
>> >
>> > "MythTV rescan is just too difficult so I did it manually and it only
>> took
>> > 4 hours"
>> >
>> > Not what I wanted to find. Can someone point me to how this should be
>> done.
>> > Specifically, I find four possibilities on how this might be done in
>> > two
>> > menus:
>> > In Connect Source to Inputs
>> > 1) Scan for Channels
>> > 2) Fetch channels from Listing Source
>> >
>> > In Channel Editor
>> > 1) Channel Scan
>> > 2) Edit Transports
>> >
>> > I have learned the hard way not to just experiment so I am asking for
>> > guidance.
>> >
>> > I have two HD Homerun dual tuners (first generation) so I have four
>> capture
>> > cards listed and connected to a single Video Source called "Antenna
>> North"
>> > which is linked to Schedules Direct. All the capture cards are
>> > apparently
>> > set up as MPEG2TS.
>> >
>> > My system is Mythbuntu 14.04.1 LTS and MythTV fixes/0.28
>> >
>> > Is there some documentation or can someone give me some specific
>> > guidance
>> > for doing the required rescan or other channel reassignment process.
>> >
>> > Allen
>> >

>> I just replied to a thread from James Abernathy with the subject "USA
>> OTA FCC frequency rescan?" that you may want to check out. As far as I
>> know, the biggest pitfall of the channel rescan in mythtv-setup is the
>> possibility of new channels getting created when you really want to
>> just change the frequency of existing channels. This (also as far as I
>> know) is caused by the station changing the callsign that gets
>> reported from the signal itself.
>>
>> Assuming you have something that can be used to just scan channels to
>> a file as I describe in that reply, you should be able to use the
>> channel editor to change and callsigns to the new ones before doing
>> the rescan to prevent that.
>>
>> I'm actually one of those who's written utilities of my own to
>> manually change frequencies surgically, but again, I believe those
>> callsign changes are the main source of unwanted results.
>>
>> Tom
>>

> I am not sure I understand the call signs of these stations. Let me give an
> example.  Channel 7_3 in MythTV Channel infor is LAFFTV.  In HDHomeRun
> (under windows) it is also LAFFTV. In Schedules Direct it is KGODT3  and
> the channel that overwrites it is KGOLD3. I think I should ignore the SD
> name.

> [...]

Wow...I'm a bit confused as to what you're saying. Here's an example
what my output from the scan looks like:

SCANNING: 599000000 (us-bcast:35)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=92 snq=98 seq=100)
TSID: 0x07D5
PROGRAM 1: 4.1 WNBC
PROGRAM 2: 4.2 COZI-TV
PROGRAM 3: 47.1 WNJU-HD
PROGRAM 4: 47.2 TeleX

That PROGRAM reported there (stored as the serviceid on the channels
table) is always unique for the specific frequency and defines the
specific channel on the multiplex. What's the exact output you're
getting? It sounds like you're saying you get the same channel and
callsign (7.3  LAFFTV) on two completely different frequencies. If so
that's pretty ugly and I have no clue how or if the channel scan would
deal with that.

As to the callsign reported by SD that should have no affect on
anything related to the scan. As mentioned above, the only connection
between the MythTV channels and XMLTV is the xmltvid on the channel.

Tom