[mythtv-users] UI myths

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Aug 11 05:52:27 UTC 2019

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:46:22 +0800, you wrote:

>Why do we do this
>
>“Do you really want to Exit Mythtv”
>
>For the 1000s of times you say “I do” surely the once you mean “No” you could easily and cleanly restart mythfrontend.
>If mythfrontend was running something eg mythcommflag (that’s a backend task, but just say) there is no frontend indication to say ‘busy now’ ’try in a while’.
>Seems like an irritatation based on what MS thinks is good UI design.
>
>James

For you that may be the case, but for people like my mother, she is
completely unable to restart mythfrontend.  And she often manages to
bounce the Back button on her remote and get that message.  And my
mother sometimes gets it when she uses her heat pump remote - the
MythTV IR picks up some of the heat pump signal and sees what it
thinks is a Back button.  I manage to get it accidentally myself
sometimes too - I would not want to exit mythfrontend accidentally
when that happened.  So, no it has nothing to do with MS design
principles, it is just sensible for a lot of MythTV users.

In your case, do you really need to be shutting down mythfrontend?
Would using Alt-Tab to go to something else that was running be a
better alternative?  I always have a three terminals that get started
automatically when the GUI starts, so if I have nothing else running
Alt-Tab will switch me to one of them and put mythfrontend into the
background out of the way, and then I have the normal desktop
available without having to shut down mythfrontend.