[mythtv-users] mythtv FE/BE combo for an RV?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 17:59:41 UTC 2019

While on a recent 4 month RV trip my main mythtv backend at home ran
great and recorded all our show.  I tried to use an RP3B+ to provide
similar OTA DVR features in my RV as we moved around.  I could not get
this working with Mythtv Light before I left.  So on the RP3  B+, I used
LibreELEC and TVH server/client and it sort of worked, but a big pain to
setup each stop and it was not forgiving on signal issues in remote areas.

So now that I'm home I'm trashing the RP3 B+ and going to build a mythtv
FE/BE combo on a Intel NUC with Xubuntu 18.04 LTS and Mythtv v30. I have
it working with HDHR Connect Duo tuners and EIT EPG data.

So my questions are these:

1.  The System Information page asks the question, Is mythfilldatabase
running?  I think that I can ignore this since my guide data is OTA EPG
provided by me setting the Video Sources to EIT only.  Right??

2. When I move locations in the RV, obviously I need to rescan for the
new channels.  I'm thinking something like: in mythtv-setup run the
channel scan in Input Connections on the first tuner and the rest will
just follow along? Then allow time for the EPG data to fill in.

Thoughts?

Jim A