[mythtv-users] Anybody having trouble with nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver?

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Mon Aug 5 21:54:32 UTC 2019

Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote on Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 06:04:38PM +0100:
> everything is smooth... with one important issue: at startup, it take
> *two minutes* for X to start.
>
> I haven't been able to find out what is causing the delay. I suspect that it
> is some obscure systemd timeout, but there is nothing, nada, zilch in the
> logs.
>
> I wondered if anyone else had seen this, and if there is a known problem
> and, hopefully, a solution (that doesn't involve buying a newer box!).

I had a similar experience on a fresh buster install, except my delay was around
30 seconds. I second the other poster's suggestion to try systemd-analyze blame.
Running that identified the ssh server as causing most of the delay. Based on
suggestions in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=912087 and
other places, I installed the haveged package, and that eliminated the entire
ssh delay. I still have a 5 second delay because of the networking starting up,
but I haven't investigated how to eliminate that. I was also able to shave a few
seconds off by disabling legacy USB support in the BIOS, but that may have been
particular to my motherboard.

I have a second frontend, also buster, with a similar startup delay. I almost
never reboot it, though (sleeping and waking instead), so I haven't been
motivated to investigate it. But I suspect it will be the same haveged issue.