[mythtv-users] Anybody having trouble with nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Aug 5 17:04:38 UTC 2019

I have just successfully upgraded my systems from 29 to 30, going from Debian Stretch to Buster and
using the deb-multimedia repo.

Somebody changed the name of tv_grab_sd_json to tv_grab_zz_sdjson while I wasn't looking, but that
was almost the only problem I had with the back end.

The front end was another matter. My setup is an ION AT510NT-I box, old now but it still does what
we need it to. It had a plain Stretch install with lightdm and openbox on top of it, autostarting
mythtv-frontend. I replicated this with Buster, but left it with the nouveau driver since that
seemed to have improved over recent releases.

The nouveau driver works - up to a point, until there is a lot of movement on the screen and then it
drops frames. There are also firmware files missing. So, go through the nvidia loop with the
nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver and everything is smooth... with one important issue: at startup, it take
*two minutes* for X to start.

I haven't been able to find out what is causing the delay. I suspect that it is some obscure systemd
timeout, but there is nothing, nada, zilch in the logs.

I wondered if anyone else had seen this, and if there is a known problem and, hopefully, a solution
(that doesn't involve buying a newer box!).

--

Mike Perkins