[mythtv-users] Updating the end time or offset of a recording in progress

mythtv mythtv at mdabbs.org
Tue Apr 30 11:37:03 UTC 2019

On 4/29/19 9:02 PM, mythtv wrote:
> On 4/29/19 8:17 PM, David Engel wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 07:13:27PM -0500, mythtv wrote:
>>> I'm trying to create my own version of Myth Recording Extender but
>>> using the Dvr services API instead of directly writing to the DB.
>>> I'm able to call the GetEncoderList service and determine that an
>>> NHL game is being recorded, I can get the status of the game from a
>>> website. I can get the original recording rule that caused the game
>>> to be recorded. What I can't do is to actually extend the recording.
>>> I can call UpdateRecordSchedule and pass it a new endTime (which
>>> only seems to actually work once), or I can give it a new endOffset
>>> which seems to work multiple times. But I think I have a problem:
>>> The recording rule is actually a Power Search and I'm not sure it's
>>> actually affecting the in-progress recording. When I get the rule
>>> from GetRecordSchedule, the actual start and end times are from back
>>> when I created the rule (back in 2015), so I don't think I'm really
>>> getting the right rule. Is there some way within the services to
>>> extended an in-progress recording? Thanks for any help.
>> Use Dvr/GetRecordSchedule. Specify the program in quesiton using
>> nChanId and dStartTimeRaw and set bMakeOverride to true. It should
>> probably aslo work by using nRecordedId but it currently doesn't.
>> That will give a recording rule you can use to call
>> Dvr/AddRecordSchedule or Dvr/UpdateRecordSchedule. Use the former if
>> nRecordId is 0 and the latter otherwise. David
> Sorry, I sent the reply to the wrong address. Ok, I've implemented
> that. I'm not sure if its working but I'll know later in the week.
>
> For now, it looks like the only thing I can adjust is the endOffset,
> correct? Changing the endTime acts like before, it doesn't seem to
> stick each time I call GetRecordSchedule and Add/Update, but the
> endOffset seems to stick. Hopefully that will be enough to advise Myth
> to keep recording.
>
> Thanks for the help!

Well, although it looked as if everything was going swimmingly, it
actually failed to continue recording beyond the normal stop time. I
noticed a service operation called rescheduleRecordings. Do I need to
call that any time I make a change to a recording? Or does the endOffset
of the current recording not get taken into effect? Am I missing
anything else?

I'd like to dig through the code and follow the logic but I don't really
know where all of this logic takes place. I know C++, just not Qt. I
guess I'd need to know where or how the updated recording is being sent
to the current in-progress recording, or how the recording knows when to
stop recording and if/how it can be updated.

Thanks! I feel like I'm close and would love to revive MRE if possible.