[mythtv-users] Status of Win32 builds for MythTV

mythtv at kosowsky.org mythtv at kosowsky.org
Sun Apr 28 21:53:14 UTC 2019

Peter Bennett wrote at about 10:19:11 -0400 on Sunday, April 28, 2019:

 > On 4/28/19 9:34 AM, mythtv at kosowsky.org wrote:
 > > Thanks Stephen.
 > > The challenge is I use a locked-down work computer that doesn't let me
 > > multi-boot, but I can run .exe's.
 > > So would love just to compile mythfrontend for windows...
 > > - Has anybody done it successfully recently?
 > > - Has anything changed in mythtv that would make the old process no
 > >    longer work?
 > >
 > > A bit surprised that I am the only one trying this as mythfrontend is
 > > so good on laptops...
 > It is a long time since anybody worked on the windows port. Several
 > years worth of changes have not been tested on Windows. So that is not
 > hopeful unless a developer does some work.
 >
 > Latest Windows version has a Linux download in the windows store that
 > downloads a package to run Linux programs in Windows. However last time
 > I checked, it was only for command line Linux programs. Hopefully at
 > some point a graphics driver will be added so that you can run Linux
 > graphical programs under Windows.
 >
 > Locked-down work computer - can you boot off a USB drive? Sometimes
 > pressing F12 during power on lets you choose the boot device. You may be
 > able to plug in an external hard drive and run Linux.

No, unfortunately they lock the USB drives too :(

I was however able to run Ubuntu under VirtualBox.
This allowed me to at least get mythfrontend running which let me do
some admin functions *but* it is too slow to get smooth video and
sound.

It's a shame that there seemingly has not been enough demand to
justify maintaining the Windows port as I found it quite good -- even
back 8+ years ago!