[mythtv-users] Status of Win32 builds for MythTV

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 14:19:11 UTC 2019

On 4/28/19 9:34 AM, mythtv at kosowsky.org wrote:
> Thanks Stephen.
> The challenge is I use a locked-down work computer that doesn't let me
> multi-boot, but I can run .exe's.
> So would love just to compile mythfrontend for windows...
> - Has anybody done it successfully recently?
> - Has anything changed in mythtv that would make the old process no
>    longer work?
>
> A bit surprised that I am the only one trying this as mythfrontend is
> so good on laptops...
It is a long time since anybody worked on the windows port. Several
years worth of changes have not been tested on Windows. So that is not
hopeful unless a developer does some work.

Latest Windows version has a Linux download in the windows store that
downloads a package to run Linux programs in Windows. However last time
I checked, it was only for command line Linux programs. Hopefully at
some point a graphics driver will be added so that you can run Linux
graphical programs under Windows.

Locked-down work computer - can you boot off a USB drive? Sometimes
pressing F12 during power on lets you choose the boot device. You may be
able to plug in an external hard drive and run Linux.