[mythtv-users] Status of Win32 builds for MythTV

mythtv at kosowsky.org mythtv at kosowsky.org
Sun Apr 28 13:34:23 UTC 2019

Stephen Worthington wrote at about 21:13:13 +1200 on Sunday, April 28, 2019:
 > On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 00:57:00 -0400, you wrote:
 >
 > >I am looking to find and/or build a Windows mythtv frontend for ver
 > >29.1.
 > >
 > >In looking at the wiki
 > >(https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Windows), there doesn't seem to
 > >be anything updated since circa 2013 and ver 23.
 > >
 > >- Has anyone successfully built a Windows frontend using a recent mythtv
 > >  version?
 > >Are there any pre-builds available?
 > >Failing that, are there any updated build instructions?
 > >
 > >I like the idea of watching mythtv from my Windows laptop...
 > >
 > >Best,
 > >Jeff
 >
 > These days, laptops are getting pretty powerful.  So you could
 > consider using mythfrontend in a virtual machine on a Windows laptop -
 > it may well work well enough now.  And you can always dual boot - that
 > is what I do, so I have Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 both on the same
 > SSD drive.  Booting 18.04 is very fast now from an SSD as systemd was
 > optimised for quick booting and the extra parallelism that a good SSD
 > allows.  And both Windows and Ubuntu can now access each other's
 > partitions - it is easier from Linux as ntfs3g is very good now, but
 > you can use the Paragon drivers from Windows to use EXT partitions.

Thanks Stephen.
The challenge is I use a locked-down work computer that doesn't let me
multi-boot, but I can run .exe's.
So would love just to compile mythfrontend for windows...
- Has anybody done it successfully recently?
- Has anything changed in mythtv that would make the old process no
  longer work?

A bit surprised that I am the only one trying this as mythfrontend is
so good on laptops...