[mythtv-users] Recording failure.

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 05:48:14 UTC 2019

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:30 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 20:37:12 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >I seem to have introduced another way to make recordings fail with the
> >changes to make the IP address static. Now mythfilldatabase does not run.
> >
> >First thing I thought of was that disabling the iPv6 was more than a red
> >herring but maybe a Black Swan. So I removed the code from the two files I
> >had modified to disable ipv6 and verified that they are no longer
> >disabled.  But mythfilldatabase still cannot find the backend.
> >
> >Here is the key line
> >*DataDirect: Failed to get data: Download error*
> >

> >I made these changes to static IP addresses 12 days ago so I run out of
> >schedule information tomorrow afternoon.  I felt panic setting in.
> >
> >I checked with Schedules Direct just to make sure I was OK there and
> >Expires:Monday, June 17, 2019
> >So that isn't it.
> >I checked Mythbackend Setup and confirmed that the IP address was correct.
> >
> >I added one more entry in what I did to make the IP static
> >broadcast 192.168.1.255  and that didn't help.
> >
> >It looked like Myth was not able to access the Internet but I can FTP into
> >the Myth computer from my Windows PC in the other room so that seems odd.
> >
> >Finally I removed my static IP address fixes and now mythfilldatabase
> runs.
> >
> >The bad line now reads
> >*Downloaded 1669761 bytes *
> >Success
> >
> >Now I have two weeks of scheduled data so that fixed the mythfildatabase
> >issue but now I have an unstable system that might crash in the next few
> >weeks.
> >
> >Summary.  After setting IP address to static I could not download data
> from
> >Schedules Direct.  Removing the static settings and it works.
> >But this is not stable because of a bug somewhere in the system dynamic IP
> >drops connection occasionally.
> >
> >Anyone know what I need to do to get the Static IP to work?
> >
> >Allen
>
> When you assign a static IP address, is it possible to assign the same
> IP address as it was getting via DHCP?  That would likely work without
> having to change anything else.  But if you change the IP address of
> the box to a static IP address that is different from the one it used
> to get via DHCP, then there are a number places where you need to
> change IP address settings.  To change to a static IP address, first
> shut down mythfrontend, mythbackend and any other MythTV programs that
> may be running.  Then also shut down MySQL or MariaDB.  On Ubuntu:
>
> sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend
> sudo systemctl stop mysql
>
> Then do the change to make the IP address on the box static.  You can
> do that via the NetworkManager GUI - select the Ethernet card you
> want, and Edit Connections, then change its settings to "Manual" and
> fill in the fields.  Or you can edit the /etc/network/interfaces file.
>
> Then check your config files for your MySQL or MariaDB setup and see
> [...]

Thanks for your quick responses. I just had a chance to try another fix and
it worked.

First, I have always used 192.168.1.111 as the IP address even when it was
dynamic. I have that IP entered in the backend as the IP address and always
have.

The fix was to add some name servers.  These are universal Google name
server addresses.

*dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8   8.8.4.4*

So the new file looks like this
*auto lo*
*iface lo inet loopback*
*auto enp2s0*
*iface enp2s0 inet static*
*    address 192.168.1.111*
*    netmask 255.255.255.0*
*    gateway 192.168.1.1*
*    broadcast 192.168.1.255*
*    dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8   8.8.4.4  *

Obviously the issue was it could not find Schedules Direct.
I found this helpful
https://michael.mckinnon.id.au/2016/05/05/configuring-ubuntu-16-04-static-ip-address/

Allen