[mythtv-users] Max partition size?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Apr 7 02:43:03 UTC 2019

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 21:22:37 -0400, you wrote:

>Good evening,
>
>I just replaced a 4TB drive with a 10TB drive. A directory on the 4TB drive
>was one of my recording storage directories. After swapping drives, MythTV
>Backend no longer reports the new drive as a storage drive. I don't see
>anything in the log about the storage directory not being found. I've tried
>removing the directory from the list of storage directories and then
>re-adding it. Still no dice.
>
>These are the steps I used to replace the drive:
>1. Partition the new drive: one 10TB partition.
>2. mkfs to make an ext4 filesystem.
>3. mount the new partition at /mnt/onsite-linux.
>4. rsync -X --delete -a /home3/* /mnt/onsite-linux
>    /home3 is the mount point for the drive/partition being replaced.
>5. umount the new partition.
>6. assign a UUID to the new  partition.
>7. update /etc/fstab with the new UUID.
>8. shutdown
>9. swap drives
>10. boot
>
>The new partition is mounted. I can see it just fine through other means,
>but mythbackend doesn't seem to want to use it. Any thoughts?
>
>For now, I've unmounted the new partition and remounted the old one.
>Mythbackend is happy again.
>
>If needed, I can resize the partition, either with a tool (theoretically
>avoiding a recopy) or via repartitioning and recopying.
>
>Thanks,
>Matt

I have one 12 Tbyte drive and mythbackend sees the recordings on it.
However, I have it formatted as JFS.  EXT4 should not be a problem -
it is fine with huge partitions.  If the partition is usable by other
software, then I doubt it is a problem with the partitioning.  It is
more likely just an ownership or permissions problem.