[mythtv-users] Capturecard names and multirec tuners

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Apr 5 15:09:07 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 05:38:05PM -0400, Tom Dexter wrote:
> I have three HDHomeRun (HDHR4-2US) units, with two tuners each, for a
> total of 6 physical tuners. When adding them and creating the inputs
> (allowing a max recordings of 2) I've of course ended up with a total
> of 12 capturecard records:
>
> select cardid, inputname, sourceid, displayname from capturecard;
> +--------+-----------+----------+-------------+
> | cardid | inputname | sourceid | displayname |
> +--------+-----------+----------+-------------+
> |      1 | None      |        1 | HDHR 1      |
> |      2 | None      |        1 | HDHR 1      |
> |      3 | None      |        1 | HDHR 2      |
> |      4 | None      |        1 | HDHR 2      |
> |      5 | None      |        1 | HDHR 3      |
> |      6 | None      |        1 | HDHR 3      |
> |      7 | None      |        1 | HDHR 4      |
> |      8 | None      |        1 | HDHR 4      |
> |      9 | None      |        1 | HDHR 5      |
> |     10 | None      |        1 | HDHR 5      |
> |     11 | None      |        1 | HDHR 6      |
> |     12 | None      |        1 | HDHR 6      |
> +--------+-----------+----------+-------------+
> 12 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, when creating the two rows there per physical
> tuner based on the max recordings, I don't think mythtv-setup gives
> you any means of giving different names to each of the two in a pair.
> I'm fairly sure I've read here on the list at some point that some
> users manually rename these to make things less confusing...for
> example in the above case, HDHR 1-1 and HDHR 1-2 or whatever in place
> of two with HDHR 1.
>
> Has anyone done that? Also, am I better off putting the name in the
> existing displayname, or in the inputname?
>
> I'm also unclear as to exactly what that would affect. I've seen some
> places in the frontend UI (as well as mythweb) that display the
> existing HDHR names above. However there are some places, for example
> the Upcoming Recording screen in the frontend seems to use the ids
> (1-12) and I'm unclear if that would change.
>
> Thanks in advance for any clarification!

My very strong recommendation is to NOT change your database.  If I
spend time working on a scheduling issue and find that you have, I
will not be happy.

My softer recommendation is to stop worrying about input IDs.  I used
to be rather anal about them myself.  With the advent of schedule as
group and on demand addition of inputs, it's both too unwieldy and not
necessary.

If there are places in your theme where you'd like something more
meaningful than an input ID, change your theme (or lobby your theme
designer) to show "input" instead of "card".  That will show the last
two characters from the displayname (that you've assigned according to
your desires) instead of a meaningless, numeric ID.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net