[mythtv-users] Recording failure.

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 17:41:08 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 10:29 AM Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 9:59 AM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 17:39:34 +0100, you wrote:

>> that
>> >>

>> >In /etc/sysctl.conf?  Are you saying that if you set this to 1 it would
>> be
>> >reset upon reboot back to 0?

>> /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf
>> there
>> >>

>> >On my 16.04 system, they are the same file.  99-sysctl.conf is a symlink
>> >../sysctl.conf.
>> >
>> >Then there was the suggestion to use the GUI and disable ipv6 from there.

>> my
>> >>

>> >Here's an article that seems to suggest that for 18.04 systems, the
>> >necessary solution is to actually achieve it by passing a kernel
>> parameter
>> >on boot:
>> >

>> https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable-ipv6-address-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux
>> >
>> >I tried Ian's suggestion and could not log into the computer remotely
>> after
>> reserved so
>> >>

>> >Hmm.  Log in remotely how?  What method of logging in remotely are you
>> >referring to?  This would have to be worked through to solve the problem.
>> >I would suggest initially checking the Ethernet interface as it is with
>> >your Network Manager based settings using '/sbin/ifconfig -a' and then
>> >checking it again after applying settings in /etc/network/interfaces,
>> with
>> >the same command to make sure it's getting set-up correctly.
>> >
>> >Cheers, Ian
>>
>> From reading those bug reports, I would say that disabling IPv6 is
>> likely a red herring.  It seems to be a DHCP problem, so the easy way
>> to fix that is to use a static IP address as suggested by Ian.
>>

> Well, I changed x.x.x.x to 192.168.1.111
> Pretty stupid.
>
> So I tried this instead
>
> iface enp2s0 inet static
>     address 192.168.1.111
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> But that didn't work either. After rebooting with those changes, there was
> no ip address assigned, the HDHRs were invisible, and I could not log in
> remotely.
>
> Here is what it looks like when it works
>
> 2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
> state UP group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether 00:1f:c6:a1:94:c0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>     inet 192.168.1.111/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global dynamic enp2s0
>        valid_lft 86053sec preferred_lft 86053sec
>

> Allen

Stupid again.  Next I tried this

auto enp2s0
iface enp2s0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.111
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1

That worked

2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:1f:c6:a1:94:c0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.111/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global enp2s0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

Sorry for my stupidity and thanks for the persistent help.

Allen