[mythtv-users] wakeup

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 22:54:44 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 2:03 PM Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:53 AM Nicolas Krzywinski <myth2 at site7even.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 12.09.2018 um 13:52 schrieb Daryl McDonald:
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 3:32 AM jksj <jksjdevelop at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 12/09/18 00:53, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>>
>>> I have the same set up in 18.04 as I did in 16.04 but my box doesn't
>>> wake up in time, once it came on two hours late, since then I've pushed the
>>> button myself. Is there a time setting I'm missing somewhere? TIA  Daryl

>>> Mine wakes on time to record programs, the same as in 16.04 but I think
>>> it does not do this for the daily wake up time set in Mythwelcome. Could
>>> that be your issue?
>>> No, I don't use Mythwelcome, but thanks for the reply, I'll go over my
>>> setup again, I must have missed something. Curious that the wakeup_test.sh,
>>> thanks Bill, restarts 16.04 and not 18.04 when the report from (bad syntax
>>> from memory) proc driver rtc is identical from both distros.
>>>
>> Hey Daryl,
>>
>> recently I set up a new MythTV system (see signature) and there I
>> switched to the new method of using only:
>>     /usr/sbin/rtcwake --date "<datestring>" --mode no
>> to set the wakeup time.
>>
>> This works fine for my system.
>>
>> The MythTV wiki was quite confusing as there is a lot of outdated and
>> ambigous information, but you can find the above mentioned call as well, if
>> you search for it.
>>
>> Btw., I made a small script to also update the LCD display with the next
>> scheduled automatic wakeup time:
>>
>> me at mysystem:~$ cat /usr/sbin/wakewrapper.sh
>> #!/bin/bash
>> # Sets RTC wake time and inserts the time into LCDd.conf for letting the
>> display inform about the next wakeup time when the system is off
>>
>> if [ -z "$1" ]
>>     then
>>         echo "Usage $0 <time>"
>>         exit 1
>> fi
>>
>> # set wake time
>> wakestring=`/usr/sbin/rtcwake --date "$1" --mode no`
>>
>> # grab the confirmed wake time
>> wakestring=`rtcwake --mode show | grep Alarm`
>>
>> # extract only time of confirmation output
>> waketime=${wakestring:15:16}
>>
>> # convert utc time string to local time
>> waketime=`date --date="$waketime +0000" +"%d. %b %T"`
>>
>> # update LCDd.conf with wake time
>> sed -i -e "s/GoodBye = \"[^H].*/GoodBye = \"$waketime\"/g" /etc/LCDd.conf
>>
>> # reload LCDd to let it use the new config
>> systemctl reload-or-restart LCDd.service
>>
>> The sed command to update the LCDd.conf has to be adapted to the target
>> environment. It needs to filter out the second GoodBye line, that should
>> not be overwritten. Mine begins with "H", therefore the regex skips every
>> GoodBye lines that have a value beginning with "H".
>>
>> Have fun!
>> Nicolas
>>
>> --
>> Nicolas
>>
>> MythTV Version : v29.1-22-g675676b
> [...]

The box didn't wake on its own, and it looks like the change to "-mode no"
is a step backward, from /var/log/mythtv/hwclock-rebootTime I see no new
writes:
Current Time      ->Tue Sep 11 23:21:32 EDT 2018
Shutting down for ->13hrs:27Mins
Wake up at approx.->Wed Sep 12 17:49:00 EDT 2018
Current Time      ->Wed Sep 12 09:51:20 EDT 2018
Shutting down for ->02hrs:57Mins
Wake up at approx.->Wed Sep 12 17:49:00 EDT 2018
and if the math can be taken literally, this looks faulty with the "$time"
setting.  Ideas and suggestions welcome.