[mythtv-users] rPi3 - Linux ARM vs Android Build

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 02:41:05 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 9:21 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 06:11:43PM -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:
> > I have not seen any discussions about the different builds and if anyone
> > has tried both on a Pi3.
> >
> > I had a project fall through, so I have several Pi3s to play with and
> > rather than buying more Shields, was going to test the Android build on
> one
> > and just wondered if anyone had experiences with it on the Pi.  I should
> be
> > able to hook my Harmony Hub to it via BT and control it like a keyboard
> > with no issue, but just wanted any feedback before I spent a few hours
> > wasting my time :)
>
> I have a Pi3b I've yet to try.  I bought it in March and then other
> things happened and I haven't gotten back to it.
>
> I'm sure Peter Bennett will chime in.  He's the primary maintainer for
> the Pi.  Actually, he's the primary maintainer for almost everything
> right now. :)
>
> Anyway, according to Peter, the Pi3 works pretty well and even has
> good to very good deinterlacing.  The main thing it doesn't have is
> the ability to timestretch.  If you need that, you'll need to look
> elsewhere.  Also, Peter hasn't said anything about it, but the limited
> RAM might be a problem with elaborate themes.  If that's the case,
> just use a simpler theme.
>
> David

I'm actually looking to run Android on the Pi

(and not the ARM port for Linux), and using a self built (Shield like)
build.  I do not want to use the regular port due to also wanting all of
the other easy to install and use android apps, etc, not to mention the
ease of use for others.

I was just wondering if anyone had done it - I have not run across a post
yet unfortunately.  It looks like I will be the guinea pig :)

I will definitely post back my findings - I plan on spending some time on
it tomorrow.  There are several (10's) posts describing the Adnroid build
steps, so I should have no issues.

Thanks!

-Greg