[mythtv-users] HDPVR 1212 power supply

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 13:48:54 UTC 2018

Hi Rajil!

> I bought two 5V 2A power supply's (PSU) from the Hauppauge.com store
> [1]. Using this PSU, the HDPVR seems to lock up at times. The
> multi-meter shows that the voltage is 5.2V while a check on the original
> supply showed 5V. Is HDPVR quite sensitive to supply voltage?

The issue is probably more with the current than the voltage.   Bit of a
tangent but USB voltages are 5.0 vDC, ±5%, so 4.75 - 5.25 volts.  My
guess, somewhat confirmed by Jim's reply, is more your wall wart isn't
quite sufficient.  Check the current specification: is listed in mA
(milliamps) or A (Amp); 1000mA = 1.0 A.  There should also be a spec
plate on your HDPVR: you want your wall wart to be at the amount on the
HDPVR's plate plus a bit more.  (The HDPVR will only draw as much as
needed from the wall wart.)

(Add in  there someplace I'm thinking you measured the voltage from the
wall wart under a no-load condition: stuck the probes in without the
HDPVR connected; it does make a difference.  A battery can measure good
without a load but connected to a LED and you may discover it is in need
of replacement.)

Jim suggested cutting off the end and connecting to the/a computer power
supply -- just be aware with DC (Direct Current) there is a polarity: a
positive and a negative.  Reverse wiring can with result in nothing or
'letting the smoke out'.  If you are not too electrically inclined
instead of wiring to the computer's power supply as Jim suggested you
could plug a USB cable (with the adapter on the other end) into a USB
port -- maybe: depends on the current needed by the HDPVR.  I'd also
plug into a powered USB port or charger rather than the computer itself
- just in case!

Barry