[mythtv-users] which drive?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Sep 4 17:26:50 UTC 2018

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 17:11:34 -0500, you wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 9:31 PM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 17:03:32 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>> >I'm thinking of replacing my storage drives with new ones. Is the Segate
>> >barracuda just as good as the WD Purple? Or is the $15 per terrabyte worth
>> >it for the "cctv" drive?
>>
>> Seagate desktop class drives are not rated for 24x7 operation, and in
>> Backblaze's statistics, they die early and often when used that way.
>> You need to be looking at their 24x7 rated drives, which are the
>> surveillance or NAS ones, or above.  My guess is that the WD desktop
>> drives will be similar, although probably not quite as bad as the
>> Seagate desktop drives.  I have been using a Seagate ST4000VN000 (4
>> Tbyte NAS drive) for 5 years now and it has been fine.  But I have not
>> used any other Seagate drives newer than that for 24x7 operation, so I
>> do not know for sure about them.
>>
>> One thing I found with my ST4000VN000 is that while it is rated as
>> having about the same noise level as my other drives in my MythTV box
>> (WD and HGST), its sound quality is annoying - it makes a "click"
>> noise when stepping that is clearly audible above the noise of the
>> box.
>>
>> I have just ordered a Seagate ST12000NM0007 drive (12 Tbyte enterprise
>> class helium), for use in my Windows box, as they are amazingly cheap
>> for an enterprise class drive of that size and Backblaze says they are
>> OK after running them for a year.  It is due to arrive on Monday.  But
>> by the reports I have seen on Amazon, they do the Seagate "click"
>> noise, so might not be suitable for a MythTV box next to a TV.  If
>> their sound quality and level is OK, I intend saving up to get one for
>> my MythTV box also.
>>

>I bought the "enterprise capacity" 6TB drives way back when and they would
>not allow to turn off sleep (the click)..  Seagate was supposedly gping to
>release some firmware that allowed, but I just put in a dd command to write
>the same file every 28 seconds.  This kept them all from trying to park
>heads (I have 5 of them in a raid array)..  It keeps that damn noise from
>happening is all I can say :)
>
>-Greg

I now have my ST12000NM0007 in my Windows 7 box and am in the process
of copying my old 4 Tbyte WD Green disk across to it.  There is no
noticeable sound coming from the ST12000NM0007.  And when I got
HDSentinel to run a short butterfly read test where the heads are
moved from one end of the disk to the other between each read, there
was no noticeable sound either.  So I think the ST12000NM0007 would be
fine as a MythTV recording drive.