[mythtv-users] Desktop OS remote control?

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 13:10:37 UTC 2018

On 01/09/18 11:54, Mike Hodson wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 4:47 AM Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com
> <mailto:veehexx at zoho.com>> wrote:
>
>     is there a remote control for an FE that runs on a desktop OS? i
>     use mythmote on my android phone but find that i'm sometimes on my
>     (linux) laptop and would be useful to control the FE from there.
>

> There look to be a few listed here, hopefully one might work for you.
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket#Used_By
>
> Mike

Just for fun, as I also use mythmote on Android.

I just tried mythremote (not as fully featured as mythmote) from
http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca/somemythtvtools.htm which is linked to from
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket#Used_By (2nd up from
bottom of table)

On Xubuntu 18.04 the following changes are required, the original was
done a long time ago (2008 from the zip file)

Install perl-tk and perl-telnet stuff

sudo apt install perl-tk libnet-telnet-perl

Changes to mythremote files after unzipping
mythremote_telnetperltk_20081004.zip

file remote-Tk

add ./ in front of remote at line 156 so it becomes:
     `./remote $function`;

file remote

change line 5 from my $host = 'tv'; to ip address of mythfrontend
machine e.g.
my $host = '192.168.0.20';

Tested (briefly) against current mythtv 29 (from mythbuntu ppa) and
mythtv master (30-pre built from source) frontends.

Mike