[mythtv-users] which drive?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Sep 1 02:27:18 UTC 2018

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 17:03:32 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm thinking of replacing my storage drives with new ones. Is the Segate
>barracuda just as good as the WD Purple? Or is the $15 per terrabyte worth
>it for the "cctv" drive?

Seagate desktop class drives are not rated for 24x7 operation, and in
Backblaze's statistics, they die early and often when used that way.
You need to be looking at their 24x7 rated drives, which are the
surveillance or NAS ones, or above.  My guess is that the WD desktop
drives will be similar, although probably not quite as bad as the
Seagate desktop drives.  I have been using a Seagate ST4000VN000 (4
Tbyte NAS drive) for 5 years now and it has been fine.  But I have not
used any other Seagate drives newer than that for 24x7 operation, so I
do not know for sure about them.

One thing I found with my ST4000VN000 is that while it is rated as
having about the same noise level as my other drives in my MythTV box
(WD and HGST), its sound quality is annoying - it makes a "click"
noise when stepping that is clearly audible above the noise of the
box.

I have just ordered a Seagate ST12000NM0007 drive (12 Tbyte enterprise
class helium), for use in my Windows box, as they are amazingly cheap
for an enterprise class drive of that size and Backblaze says they are
OK after running them for a year.  It is due to arrive on Monday.  But
by the reports I have seen on Amazon, they do the Seagate "click"
noise, so might not be suitable for a MythTV box next to a TV.  If
their sound quality and level is OK, I intend saving up to get one for
my MythTV box also.