[mythtv-users] what in the world is going on with database password??

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 12:37:48 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018, 7:13 AM Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com wrote:

> On 31 October 2018 9:18:46 pm Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 10/31/18 12:27 AM, Mark Perkins wrote:
>>

>> On 31 October 2018 1:43:49 pm James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
>> <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I’m now having problems with mythtv-setup not connecting to the
>>> database.  I’m following the instructions I documented in the following
>>> blog:
>>>

>>> https://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2018/10/creating-mythtv-v29-frontendbackend-on.html
>>>
>>> The first time I did this, no problems.  I complete started over again
>>> to verify things. Since I link /etc/mythtv/config.xml to
>>> $HOME/.mythtv/config.xml before I run mythtv-setup, I never had to look at
>>> the database password.
>>>
>>> I ran mythtv-setup after setting up XMLTV json per the wiki as I’ve done
>>> before and documented.  I had no problems connecting then, but after I
>>> finished, I ran mythfilldatabase and it also bombed due to not connecting
>>> with the database.  I tried mythtv-setup again and this time it couldn’t
>>> connect.
>>>
>>> It’s like I follow the same instructions, but it randomly fails.
>>>
>>> when I run mythfilldatabase now I see this:
>>>
>>> 2018-10-30 22:57:55.639274 I  Start up testing connections. DB
>>> 192.168.0.251, BE , attempt 0, status dbAwake
>>> 2018-10-30 22:57:56.641275 I  Start up testing connections. DB
>>> 192.168.0.251, BE , attempt 1, status dbAwake
>>> 2018-10-30 22:58:01.650478 I  Start up testing connections. DB
>>> 192.168.0.251, BE , attempt 2, status dbAwake
>>> 2018-10-30 22:58:06.659712 I  Start up testing connections. DB
>>> 192.168.0.251, BE , attempt 3, status dbAwake
>>> 2018-10-30 22:58:11.668891 I  Start up testing connections. DB
>>> 192.168.0.251, BE , attempt 4, status dbAwake
>>>
>>> Jim A

>>> I can't speak for Xubuntu, but vanilla install of mysql / mariadb
>> sometimes only bind to localhost as it is default more secure. Have you
>> checked for bind-address? Or:
>> netstat -peanut | grep 3306
>>
>> Okay, problem solved, but it brings up questions about what should be
>> changed when configuring the backend the first time. What I do and document
>> is changing General-> Primary IP to 192.168.0.250, which is the IP address
>> of the backend and LOCALHOST. I'm guessing that change now made it
>> important to change the #bind-address=:: to bind-address=::
>>
>> With that solved I ran the FE and it worked but had no guide data.  So I
>> ran mythtv-setup which stopped the BE then I exited and it asked about
>> running mythfilldatabase.  That failed due to me running mythtv-setup and
>> thereby mythfilldatabase as 'jim'.  I had configured XMLTV as 'mythtv'.
>>
>> So I ran mythfilldatabase as 'mythtv'. problem solved.
>>
>> This brings up what should be done to make this work all the time.
>>
>> 1. Either leave General -> Primary IP as 127.0.0.1 or always do the
>> bind-address=:: fix
>>
>> 2. When doing mythtv-setup as "jim" don't run mythfilldatabase as part of
>> exiting. Then sudo su mythtv and then run mythfilldatabase
>>
>> 3. Or do I run the XMLTV setup stuff as "jim" and then link all the
>> .xmltv stuff in /home/mythtv/.xmltv back to /home/jim/.xmltv
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Jim A

>> My 2 cents:
> - Always do bind-address fix. But I'm sure there are a lot of combined
> BE/FE with no remote FE who would disagree. But I just think do it now and
> save problems later.
> - always run mythtv-setup as the user who runs the backend. This shakes
> out a bunch of possible permission problems and environment problems sooner
> rather than later.  But IIRC mythbuntu is not set up this way.

I'm always behind a firewall and I always have remote FEs. So I'd lean
toward always doing the bind-address fix and putting in the real IP address
in General-> Primary IP as part of mythtv-setup.

Which user is the question. If you have the Desktop installed you have menu
items for both FE and BE setup. If you don't do xmltv, then it all works.
Since xmltv requires user mythtv setup, that's when the problems occur.

Mythbackend and mythfilldatabase run in background as user mythtv. So the
only issue is running setup as 'jim' and choosing yes to the run
mythfilldatabase question.

I'm going to modify instructions to not use the menu for Backend Setup.
Then do a lot of stuff as user 'mythtv'.