[mythtv-users] Windows 10 - Kodi using MythTV API

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 02:13:49 UTC 2018

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 3:51 AM Richard Lane <lists at timeforabrew.com> wrote:

> ---- On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 17:32:22 +0100 Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
> wrote ----
>
>  > On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 12:48 PM Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>  > On 25/10/2018 17:52, Greg Oliver wrote:
>  > On Thu, Oct             25, 2018 at 2:23 AM Tom Harris <
> thom.j.harris at gmail.com>             wrote:
>  > On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:55 PM Greg                       Oliver <
> oliver.greg at gmail.com>                       wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I                           was recently given a Surface Pro 3, so I
> did                           like everyone would do and bought a $25 dock
>                          for it and turned it into a MythTV frontend :)
>  >
>  > Then                           I got to thinking - since only my Roku
> (it is                           currently a 100% Linux house) allows me
> to                           play back episodes on all of my pay channels'
>                          apps, I though - why not try Windows 10 - it
>                      has tiles that are easily navigated with a
>                remote control and all of those channel apps
>            are also available there.  I never made it
>      that far.  The dock ethernet is Gigabit and
>  gets every bit of it, but kodi's skip forward
>  and back is noticeable to the point of                           unusable
> (it takes seconds to go back and                           forth a
> minute).  An android nvidia shield is                           instant
> with kodi doing the same thing.  I am                           just
> dumbfounded how something 10x faster and                           with
> much greater resources than the shield is                           so much
> faster.
>  >
>  > I                           could not find anything related on the web,
> so                           am asking here if anyone else has experienced
>                          and overcome this?
>  >
>  > I’m not 100% sure we’re talking about the same
>  thing, but from my experience:
>  >
>  > The default Kodi settings have a delay before
>  acting on the skip ahead/back commands.   Kodi has
>  logic for multiple keypresses jumping father (e.g.                       i
> click = 20 sec, 2 = 1 minute, 3 = 5 minutes) so                       it
> delays to see if more clicks are coming.   For                       a
> MythTV user accustomed to instant action this is
>  really annoying.
>  >
>  > In System -> Video -> Playback you can tweak these settings.  Change
> ’Skip Delay’ to                         0 for a much more responsive UI.
>  >  (I wrote up a few observations when I first                       set
> up Kodi.  Mailing list link:
> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2015-November/383134.html )
> [...]

So using the DP2 <--> HDMI adapter did clean it up quite a bit, and setting
the delay to 0 of course made the most difference.  It now immediately
skips up to 2 presses with no noticeable delay.  Anything more and it
spins, but it is considerably less.  Thanks for the tuning tips - I had
configured the shields so long ago, I forgot all about those screens.

The intel graphics output is also noticeably worse than the nVidia picture
I have grown accustomed to.  The colors are a little more washed out and
the output of 1080p movies is just not as fantastic as I have become
accustomed to (single strands of hair blowing in the wind are less
discernible for example).

I was just excited about having a free and powerful tablet to use, but I
guess I will sell it.  I cannot go backward on quality - it would be like
trading down on a car when you do not need to save the money :)

Thanks again for the comments,

Greg