[mythtv-users] Missing progress bar

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:16:18 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 8:49 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> [...]
> that the second one is a child of the first one.
>
> >My 750ti has three outputs, VGA-0, HDMI-0, DVI-D-0.
> >With just the two monitors hooked up my xorg.conf has this line in the
> >Screen section
> > Option         "metamodes" "VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, HDMI-0:
> >1920x1080 +1280+0"
> >
> >I assume I could add the DVI monitor to this definition.  What I don't
> know
> >is how I can get Myth to show up on both the HDMI and DVI monitors but not
> >on the VGA monitor.
> >Googling is good at finding examples with two monitors but not so much on
> >three.
> >
> >The projector is a Panasonic PT-AX100U and it 720p native although it will
> >take other inputs.
> >
> >Allen
>
> I think you will need to reconfigure things so that each of the
> outputs is a separate X display.  I have never use the "metamodes"
> option they way you have to configure two outputs, but I was surprised
> to see that it was valid to have both of them as "-0".  I would have
> thought that what that would do is to make the monitor and TV both
> have the same output, rather than have the desktop on the monitor and
> MythTV on the TV.  But it depends on how your other X config is done -
> you can set up X so that the two screens are side by side and you can
> then drag mythfrontend to the right from the monitor to the TV.  Is
> that what you are doing?  Anyway, please post the full
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and more detail about how your current setup
> works.
>
> I think the way you should be setting it up is so that each output is
> a separate X display, say VGA on 0, TV on 1 and projector on 2.  Then
> you would be able to set up each of them in their native best
> resolution, and send the desktop to the monitor, and use the -display
> option on mythfrontend to choose which of the TV or projector it ran
> on.  The problem with doing it that way is that you can run out of GPU
> RAM running three displays at once, but I think trying for that first
> would be the best idea because it the most simple way to do what you
> want.  And I think it might help with your problem with the progress
> bar, as having each display running in native resolution is the best
> way to avoid strange problems like that.
>
> To help work out the best config, it would be useful to also have the
> /var/log/Xorg.*.log file(s) after booting with all three display
> attached and switched on.  Of particular interest is the section at
> the start of the log file where it tells you what are the valid
> devices and their characteristics, starting with a section like this:
>
> [    36.700] (--) NVIDIA(0): Valid display device(s) on GeForce GT 220
> at PCI:1:0:0
> [    36.700] (--) NVIDIA(0):     CRT-0
> [    36.700] (--) NVIDIA(0):     CRT-1
> [    36.700] (--) NVIDIA(0):     SONY TV (DFP-0) (boot, connected)

xorg.conf was created by nvidia-settings.  What it is essentially doing is
creating a single desktop that extends across both monitors. I can drag
things across but there is an option to declare the TV as the primary
monitor and when I do that Myth starts on that monitor.  I have been unable
to figure out how it does that.  I looked at the code for starting myth on
startup and it isn't clear.  I think I could modify the metamode line to
add the projector and place if off to the right of the TV with its native
resolution. I could then shutdown mythfrontend and launch it again targeted
to that part of the three monitor desktop that is the projector.  If myth
responds to the
--geometry=WidthxHeight+Xoffset+Yoffset command I could use that.  I don't
know if that works.  It did not work for Chrome.  Then I could create a
desktop icon that launched myth with the appropriate options. Right now
mythfrontend launches with a "--service" option

Here is what I am thinking:

Modify xorg.conf
Option         "metamodes" "VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, HDMI-0:
1920x1080 +1280+0,DVI-D-0: 1280x720 + 3200+0"

create desktop option
mythfrontend --service --geometry=1920x1080+3200+0

The only thing is I am not at all sure this will work.  I guess I will have
to try it.

Allen

dad at NewMyth:~$ more /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 410.73

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "type1"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTX 750 Ti"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
# Removed Option "metamodes" "VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, HDMI-0:
1280x720 +1280+0"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
    Option         "metamodes" "VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, HDMI-0:
1920x1080 +1280+0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"