[mythtv-users] Adding Chromium-browser to main menu

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 05:37:37 UTC 2018

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:06 PM Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have gotten pretty far with this but am now stuck.  I added this to
> default/mainmenu.xml
>
>    <button>
>       <type>TV_WATCH_TV</type>
>       <text>Google Chrome</text>
>       <description>Launch Chrome</description>
>       <action>EXEC DISPLAY=":0.0" chromium-browser --fullscreen</action>
>    </button>
>
> But it launches on the terminal display and not on the TV.  The thing that
> has me stuck is that in nvidia setup I only have display 0 and it is 0.0
> and it list both the terminal and the TV under that single entry.  I
> checked the TV as the main display.
>
> I opened a terminal on both the terminal display and the TV and issued
> this command
>
> printenv | grep DISPLAY and sure enough, they both show DISPLAY=":0.0"
>
> Myth starts on the TV but there were no clews in the autostart command.
>
> I guess what is happening is that both displays look like a single display
> where the TV has an offset equal to the width of the terminal display.  I
> can drag Chrome over to the TV and make it full screen, which is what I
> would like to happen automatically. But Myth acts as expected, just Chrome
> does not.
>
> So how do I distinguish between these physical displays so that Chrome
> will open on the main display?
>
> Allen

Nevermind.  Seems that Chromium remembers where it was and how large it is
so upon relaunch, it was still full screen on the TV.  Maybe the post will
help someone else looking to add Chrome to a Mythtv menu.  For now I am OK
unless it doesn't come back after a reboot but in that case, I will just
have to move it to reset it, not the worst thing.

That said, I am pretty sure I could break the two displays into separate
logical display if I edited the xorg.conf file.  Just didn't want to break
anything.

For reference, here is what xorg.conf has for the screen. Note that both
the VGA and HDMI are part of 0:0.  Anyway, no harm no foul.

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
    Option         "metamodes" "VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, HDMI-0:
1280x720 +1280+0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"