[mythtv-users] moving from SD to XMLTV - SD on Xubuntu 18.04

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 22:24:24 UTC 2018

I’m in the process of building a test system with Xubuntu 18.04.1 and MythTV v29 prior to moving my production systems over.

I first set mythtv up with a 2 tuner HDHR Connect  with the latest firmware and I set the video source as Schedule Direct and got things running.

My production system is Ubuntu 16.04 and it uses v29 with XMLTV-SD. So I wanted to test XMLTV-SD on Ubuntu 18.04.

The Wiki instructions seem to be dated and/or cover many different options for setup.  What I did seemed easier than I remembered.

1.  I didn’t have to setup a repository for XMLTV.  I just sudo apt install xmltv
2.  The XMLTV was the latest 0.5.07 version
3.  when I ran the command, tv_grab_zz_sdjson —info, I got an error about needing to install perl-doc for the command to work. So I did sudo apt perl-doc.
4. I had to install and configure as my normal user and not ‘mythtv'
5. I thought I understood that I could do the rest of the setup in mythtv-setup, but I could not configure the Video source for XMLTV due to the SD username and password not being setup.  So I went back to the command line and did:
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
6. Then I went back into mythtv setup and continued the configuration of Video Source and  took the defaults and it all worked,
7. I changed the Input connections to the new XMLTV-sd for both tuners and did the scan on the first on only.
8. I found all my channels and it all works.

I thought it was harder back in the day.  Not sure if there was a way to configure the SD username and PW from within mythtv-setup, but I couldn’t find it.

9. I did copy the created files from XMLTV from my home directory to mythtv’s

BTW how do I configure my SD Zipcode to a new zipcode?  I did it today on the website, but mythtv-setup video source configuration still shows my old zipcode.

Jim A