[mythtv-users] HELP: HD died will need to delete all recordings

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Oct 27 04:40:59 UTC 2018

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 13:10:39 -0400, you wrote:

>On 10/26/18, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/23/18, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>>> find_orphans.py automatically deletes and _allows_ re-record, but you
>>> are correct that it will not create new rules to record the shows that
>>> are deleted (nor will any other mechanism for deletion). Any existing
>>> rules the cover the shows that get deleted will result in re-recording
>>> of the episodes.  However rules that no longer exist (i.e. "this
>>> showing" or "find and record once" or ... rules) will need to be created
>>> again.  Generally, though, those one-off rules tend to be for
>>> "opportunistic" recording of something less important, so probably
>>> aren't too much of a concern.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> Wow...totally confused. How exactly should I be getting that
>> find_orphans.py script? I see it's not part of the mythtv distribution
>> itself, and that link above doesn't have any sort of raw download. I
>> attempted to copy and paste it into vi from that page (which really
>> rubbed me the wrong way), which looked ok (and appeared to have the
>> proper space indenting) but it fails miserably.
>>
>> Run as root I get this:
>>
>> ./find_orphans.py
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "./find_orphans.py", line 221, in <module>
>>     DB = MythDB()
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/MythTV/database.py", line
>> 1264, in __init__
>>     for tmpconfig in dbconfig.test(self.log):
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/MythTV/database.py", line 938, in
>> test
>>     for conn in XMLConnection.fromUPNP(5.0):
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/MythTV/connections.py", line
>> 607, in fromUPNP
>>     ip, port = reLOC.match(res['location']).group(1,2)
>> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group'
>>
>> If I attempt that as a non-root user it segfaults. Any suggestions are
>> welcome.
>>
>> I was actually able to recover most of the recordings we care about
>> and I wanted to use this to clean up the rest.
>>
>> Tom
>>

>Given how little I actually had to do here I just did this manually in
>mythweb...but I'd still love to know what I was doing wrong there if I
>ever need this.
>
>Thanks!
>Tom

In Python the indenting matters, so you may have had a problem with
that.  It is difficult to tell.  And for Python it is also best to use
UTF-8 (no signature) as the character set for storing files now.
Python code can have UTF-8 characters in it and that can be important.
I have put a copy of my working version on my web server:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/find_orphans.py

You might like to download it and check it against your vi version.  I
checked it against the official version today and it is identical,
according to my diff program.  And it works for me.