[mythtv-users] audio missing from part of recording

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 10:58:18 UTC 2018

On 10/25/18 4:12 PM, Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) wrote:

>> On Oct 25, 2018, at 4:04 PM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This has recently started happening on my backend system. I start watching a show from a FE that was recorded the previous night and the picture is perfect HD, but the audio will go silent for a few minutes at most and then return.  These are OTA recordings made using a HDHR Quatro. I can't find a pattern yet, but it's usually 1-2 minutes into the start of a recording and then it returns in a few minutes.  There is no video noise or loss of signal.  All the channels that I've noticed this on have 100% as their signal strength.
>>
>> I checked the backend log and nothing unusual during the duration of the recording.
>>
>> I have the same experience using multiple frontends. So it's in the recording itself. This started withing the last month.  I've not seen this in many years of using Mythtv.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> I have seen this before as well on OTA, and I imagine it is the fault of the broadcast station. At that time it was long enough that I switched on the closed caption .  I believe I have only seen this on ABC here in America. Also of note was that in a couple of the instances, the background audio was ok, just the voice audio was missing. Strange!
>
> J.R.

Thanks,  I'm also in USA but this issue was with CBS network.  It was
complete audio loss.  I went to CBS.com and played that portion with the
missing audio just to make sure I didn't miss anything significant.  The
remaining 55 minutes had no issue.

I'm leaning toward it being a broadcast issue.

My antenna is a good one
(https://www.bestbuy.com/site/antennas-direct-clearstream-4max-indoor-outdoor-hdtv-antenna-black/5894080.p?skuId=5894080)

My tuner is SiliconDust Homerun HD Quatro, and my backend is a 3rd gen
Core i7 with 16GB memory and 4-2GB hard drives in a set of mirrors for a
total of 4GB.

I'm on Mythtv V29 on Ubuntu 16.04.

I'll keep an eye on it.  The only change I've made recently besides
updating the Mythtv software occasionally, is 2 of my FEs are now RP3 B+
running LibreELEC.

I was suspecting the FEs but I tested mythtv-frontend on other computers
in the house and they had the same issue, so I know it's in the recording.

Jim A