[mythtv-users] Mythbackend recording glitches

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 22:40:48 UTC 2018

An update.  I now have a Mythbunty 16 system I am happy with.
1) With the 6GB of ram the system is more responsive on Mythweb than it
ever was.
2) We don't see the glitching in the recordings.
3) The missing progress bar returned when I found that I had not selected
VDPAU and when I did that, the progress bar was back
4) I find that I can use the PulseAudio control panel to easily select
between digital out on HDMI and SPDIF.  It is in the "Playback" tab.
5) I moved the old TV recordings I care about to the newly created videos
directory so we can watch the 4 shows we missed that were on the old
system. The rest we don't care about.  The file name starts with an obscure
channel ID and then the date and time so it was easy to find the recordings
I wanted and rename them to something readable as part of the move.
6) Clonezilla took my 750G drive and created an identical 2T drive nicely
increasing the partition size in the process.  I now have 1.8T of space on
the drive. Use expert mode and select that option to expand the drive
proportionally.
7) I did not start over with a 64 bit version as everything was working.
8) My observation is that the AMD 5400 has plenty of computing power, the
problem was the RAM.
9) There is still swap used as time goes on which I don't understand.
Right now I am recording and doing a mythcomfilter and the swap is empty.
Tomorrow the swap will be in use and files will be swapping in and out. It
is like a swaping leak.
10) Finally, the missing icons on Mythweb seem to be some Chrome Browser
cache problem.  Clear cache and the icons show up.

Things to do
1) While it would be nice if the audio played out of both digital outputs,
I have a work around and can always try and create some custom setup if I
need something to do. Besides, I can listen to the optical digital out from
the TV if I want to use the surround system when watching TV.  It will only
be an issue with the projector and see #2.
2) See if I can output to the projector with the unused DVI output on the
video card.  I would have the HDMI and DVI channels clone and the VGA
channel still be independent. Not sure if that can be done.

What I like better about the new system.
1) Much more responsive Mythweb
2) CC are readable and not written all over themselves
3) Chrome browser is supported
4) More disk space although we don't need it...

Thanks all for the help.

Allen