[mythtv-users] HELP: HD died will need to delete all recordings

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Oct 23 02:47:48 UTC 2018

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 21:15:36 -0400, you wrote:

>Damn...one of the drives in my backend died so I'll loose all my recordings.
>
>Is there some shortcut to effectively do a delete and allow re-record
>on everything? I have a LOT there and will really need this.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Tom

Delete yes, re-record no, not that I know of.  For deleting recordings
that have missing recording files, use the "find_orphans.py" script:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py

But if you want to also automate the re-recording of the missing
programmes, do not run find_orphans.py before you have done that, or
the information you need will be gone.  What you need is a script that
will look up your database for the names of all the recording files,
then check your storagegroups to see which files it can find and which
ones it can not.  Then it would provide a list of all the missing
files, similar to find_orphans.py, and would then work out all the
entries in the oldrecorded database table that would need to be
altered or deleted to get the missing programmes to re-record.  I do
not know exactly how the "allow re-record" mechanism works, so it
would be necessary to find that out so what it does can be copied.

All of that is do-able and something I would probably be able to work
out, but it would take a while to write the script and debug it.

Has the drive actually died, or is it just giving problems?  If the
latter, you may be able to recover a lot of the recordings before it
actually dies.  And do you have smartmontools installed?  That gives
you the best chance of getting prior warning of a drive that is going
bad.