[mythtv-users] Compiling without qtwebkit

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 23:00:44 UTC 2018

On 10/22/18, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/18, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I read in a few places that you can compile without it and that it
>> does in fact work. I was actually able to prove that out on this
>> machine, which doesn't have qtwebkit installed, by modifying the
>> configure script so as to not require it, and just hard coding it with
>> "disable qtwebkit". I'd like to go with this on my frontend and
>> backend but here's my main concern: I tested a compile (though not an
>> install) on one of those machines and it's clear that it links in all
>> the qtwebkit stuff simply by virtue of it being installed. I'm VERY
>> leery of uninstalling qtwebkit first in order to do this because...in
>> the event that I run into issues...I'll be down for the entire time it
>> takes me to recompile that monster.
>>

> While I'd never used it before, I'd forgotten that I can actually use
> the Gentoo quickpkg to make a binary package to serve as a backup in
> case I need to get qtwebkit back, and that would be instantaneous.
>
> I'd still like to understand what it is that's actually pulling that
> in. I don't have much of any understanding of that compile process
> there, but it appears that the option -DUSING_QTWEBKIT gets used
> regardless.
>
> Tom

I just got done with this and it appears to have worked great. As
noted above, the only way I could find to get mythtv to not link in
the qtwebkit libraries was to uninstall it first. That of course means
that attempting to restart your mythfrontend or mythbackend before you
rebuild it will likely fail...at least mythfrontend for sure, as that
will have it linked in. The only mythtv change I needed was a change
to the configure script to disable the code that was requiring
qtwebkit. I've attached that patch.

For anyone doing this on Gentoo I'll outline the steps I used.
Remember that this assumes you're not using mythbrowser or any plugins
that need it. It of course also assumes that you don't have any other
packages that require qtwebkit. Note that in my case, the ebuild I was
using was a modified version of the mythtv-29.1-r1.ebuild I posted
here:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/645850

Note that two day ago an ebuild based on that was added to portage as
mythtv-29.1.ebuild.

Here's what I did:

1. In my local overlay version of the ebuild I removed the
"dev-qt/qtwebkit:5" line from the COMMON assignment (and of course
rebuild the digest for the ebuild).

2. To apply the attached patch I put it in the user patch directory
for the ebuild. In my case that was under
/etc/portage/patches/media-tv/mythtv-29.1-r1.

3. As a safeguard / backup in case I needed to get qtwebkit back
without compiling it, I used quickpkg to make a binary package from
the current installed qtwebkit. In my case that used:

quickpkg =dev-qt/qtwebkit-5.9.1

If I had to reinstall from that I could use:

emerge -aK dev-qt/qtwebkit

4. Unmerged qtwebkit with:

emerge -aC dev-qt/qtwebkit

That gives warnings about @preserved-rebuild because of mythtv
libraries and mythfrontend, but we're rebuilding all that anyway.

5. Rebuilt mythtv from my ebuild.

Obviously I had to restart mythfrontend and mythbackend. Note that for
some odd reason mythfrontend wasn't quitting and I had to manually
kill it...not sure why.

Again...everything seems great so far.

Tom