[mythtv-users] Scan Type: Failed to open the card

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 21 09:07:02 UTC 2018

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 at 08:04, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is an unresolved issue with mythtv and *ubuntu 18.04 (and others)
> where mythtbackend is not stopped when entering mythtv-setup, which can
> cause "failed to open card" messages.
>
> The current work round is to use systemctl commands in a terminal
> session to stop mythbackend before using mythtv-setup
>
> sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend

Many thanks Mike. Yes. By doing that, I no longer got "failure to open
card".

On attempting to scan I did get "failure to parse parameters"  (?!?) but
now baby screaming, wife stressed that we aren't going out yet and I can't
keep looking into this so I guess it'll stay broken for the moment... oh
well, not the first time. Sometimes I understand why people just buy a PVR
;-)