[mythtv-users] Mythbackend recording glitches

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 08:37:59 UTC 2018

On 18/10/18 06:26, Allen Edwards wrote:

>     OK, well I have 2G of memory.  That might be a problem then.  I
>     ordered a new 1T HD and was going to put the new system on there
>     from scratch. One issue is that the 750G drive I am using is old as
>     well so I was thinking a new one might be a good idea.  Not sure
>     what I was going to do with the old recordings... The main goal is
>     to get a system that works.
>
>     Allen
>

> New information. Watched a show recorded while another show was also
> being recorded.  The glitching was terrible.  Must have been 10 times
> worse.  Given we could record 4 shows with the Mythbuntu-8 I think this
> is significant. It is possible I used the 64bit version when I ran 8 so
> that is something I can check.  More memory is very inexpensive so I can
> add more if needed.  But upgrading to the 64 bit version seems like an
> important next step.
>
> Allen

I have two old HP laptops with, IIRC, 1.7 GHz core2duos, 2 GiB ram, that
run the latest ppa version of master under 64-bit kubuntu xenial with
the ? stack option.

They give usually flawless recordings, quite often several at once, from
SD DVB-T.  But I don't use commflagging, and I avoid most other use of
the system while they are doing it.

Installing an extra 2 GiB of ram made a big difference to the
performance of my main boxes, also core2duo but 2.7 GHz, which run
64-bit Fedora-ish KDE OSes  and came with only 2 GiB ram.

John